A WALK -Move at a regular pace by lifting and setting down each foot in turn, never having both feet off the ground at once. Oxford dictionary.
Walking as a fitness tool is the simplest yet a very effective way of keeping one fit. It can be undertaken easily by all age groups without much of investment.
Unfortunately it is underrated as a form of exercise. Regular walking has been shown to reduce the risk of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, asthma, stroke and these are some of the benefits of morning walk.
Some Usefull Tips :
- Find a walking buddy!
- Start slowly on a flat terrain and increase the distance as well as speed steadily. Best way is to start with 5 minutes walk and then gradually increasing daily at an increment of 30 seconds to 1 minute until your reach a plateau. Once you reach that , continue walking for the same duration for 4 -5 days and then you step up the duration for 30 seconds to 1 minute again. Keep continuing in this manner to reach roughly 30 – 45 minutes of walk. Once you reach this duration , You can work on different terrains like hilly and rough.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Hydrate well atleast half an hour before you start walking. Do not drink water just before starting to walk. It may induce abdominal cramps.
- Try to aim for 10000 steps a day.
- Stay motivated .. The effect of walking takes a bit of time to show up. Once they start showing up you will be hooked to this simple exercise..